October 15, 2014

Time to hit the grocery store.

I used to love grocery shopping.  Then for a time I hated it, I imagined the GMA drones were following my every shopping move.  But with new knowledge & resources, I enjoy it when I find wholesome food that won't break the bank for my family.

Here's some help for you.

Photo Paul Irish
Photo Paul Irish
Remember, baby steps.

 Don't fret just because it takes you a half a day and 3 stores to find good bread. 
Next time you'll go right to it.  (Or it will come to you!) 
Btw, you're food isn't perfect either.  Just make progress and enjoy your food! We've so forgotten to. (but that's another post)

I'm not loyal.  Blame it on society, say I live in a fast paced world, say whatever you want but you must know I'll visit 3 grocery stores in one day and come home to organic veggies, dairy and bread on my porch to boot.

So if that's not for you, fear not.  I hear there are many a sane person who just go to 1 store once a week. No way!
You might pay a little more or accept a close second or...
 you could find my dream store with all I want and great prices too!


Photo: Ines Hegedus-Garcia

First Things First

What to buy?!
Organic- 

Whole Grains- 

Nuts & Seeds

Full Fat Grass Fed Organic Dairy- 
Or as many of those as possible.

Grass Finished Beef- 
Some not lots.

Pastured Poultry & Eggs

Wild caught pacific fatty fish. 
The smaller the better.

 Honey & Maple Syrup- wherever possible.
As little minimally refined sugar as possible.

Wine & Beer (I'm not an animal!)
Ooo and this gin!

Fruits & Vegetables 
As many  as I can fit in and get people to eat. 


Produce.  Buy Organic.  Buy Local.  Buy In Season.  Vary it.  Eat the rainbow!
I try to buy only organic.  Vote with your dollar right?  I figure it helps 1- show the grocery store I want more of it. 2- It helps the farmer who paid for and went to the effort of being certified and 3- I know it's not GMO and that it's pesticide free.  Although there are many environmental reasons too.

But...
There are 14 fruit and vegetables I'll buy occasionally (if I can't afford the organic- we can eat A LOT of avocados)

I do have to say that my conventional grapefruit tasted of nothing.  Guess that's what you get for growing it in poor soil then flying it across the world to me. I digress.

You may think that I can't count since there are 15 items in the Clean 15.  Remember 90% of the US corn is genetically modified, so I never buy conventional corn.

Second- Where to buy them.



O.K. I'd do all my shopping this way if I could but for now I'm feeding 2 growing boys. We need a wholesale and other masses of food.

O.K. This will only be helpful for those Colorado folks but you'll get an idea of what to look for.


Co-op like but delivers
Organic fruit and veggies (customizable!) + organic dairy, bread, and more!

Cost Co
Big Box wholesale.
Wholesale stores get a bad rap.  It depends on the store, the demand and your will power.  Walk past the cheese puffs and pick up the whole foods!

Vitamin Cottage
Like Whole Foods but smaller & cheaper for bulk flours, spices and dry goods.

King Soopers, Walmart & Target
Big Box GMA stores- who have some great deals, if you know where to look!
Plus Walmart will now shop for me and bring it to my car or deliver it! Wahoo! Couch shopping!

~
Trader Joes
Apparently awesome, amazing and inexpensive (for quality) but too far for me to go.

Puritan's Pride icon
Free Shipping
Spices, Seeds, Vitamins & More

Amazon has some hard to find items but wait and watch the price carefully.
Try


Third- Make a plan!

Write it down.  

Price it out.  

Then make a route to all the good stuff- or just hit one store like a boring normal person.  
It's up to you... C'mon, come over to the dark side!  You will eventually you know.


Inspirations: